Kirribilli House, Sydney is situated on Kirribilli Point with an uninterrupted view eastwards across Sydney Harbour. It is the official Sydney residence of the Prime Minister of Australia.
Built in 1854 by Adolphus Frederick Feez, Kirribilli is a twin gabled house in the Gothic style. The property passed through many private hands after Feez sold it in 1858 and it was purchased by Arthur Wigram Allen in 1919. Allen planned to subdivide the land but after much public agitation William Morris Hughes the Prime Minister of the day, acquired the property for the Commonwealth Government in 1920. Arthur Allen therefore became the last private owner of Kirribilli House and a writing box previously owned by him is on loan by The Australiana Fund to the house.
Due to its proximity to Admiralty House, Kirribilli House was used by staff of the Governor-General until 1930 after which it was leased to various tenants.
In 1956 Kirribilli House was set aside for overseas guests of the Commonwealth and for use by the Prime Minister. Since then successive Prime Ministers have used it as their Sydney residence.
Among the artworks on loan to Kirribilli House by The Australiana Fund, are objects with themes of Australian flora and fauna, exploration and immigration. Works by Australian craftsmen or with Prime ministerial provenance have been acquired by The Australiana Fund for placement within the house.